Foodie Fitness (Shrimp and Noodles!)
Have you ever enjoyed a big bowl of creamy noodles dotted with plump, juicy shrimp? Delicious, wasn’t it?! Today’s recipe is a lightened up version of that sinfully scrumptious meal.
This recipe uses zucchini to create grain-free, low-calorie noodles and then mixes it with fresh-made pesto and steamed shrimp. The result is as tasty as the original, with half of the calories. Enjoy!
Here’s what you need…
- 4 zucchini
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- dash of sea salt
- juice of 1⁄2 a lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 dozen large shrimp
For the Noodles
- Run a vegetable peeler along each zucchini until you reach the seeds, to create long, flat noodles. Place your zucchini noodles in a bowl.
For the Pesto
- Place the macadamia nuts, basil leaves, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until well combined while drizzling in the olive oil.
- Peel and devein the shrimp, pulling off the tail and then the rest of the shell.
For the Shrimp and Noodles
- Heat a pot of water under a steamer basket. Steam your noodles for about 5 minutes, until tender. Remove to a medium bowl.
- Steam the shrimp for 3 minutes, until fully pink.
- Combine the noodles with the pesto and top with warm shrimp. Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 328 calories, 28g fat, 15g carbohydrate, 0g sugar, 85mg sodium, 8g fiber, and 12g protein.
2017 04 04